For your website to rank well in search results, deliver a high-quality experience to users and ultimately turn leads into sales, it needs to be filled with great copy.
Key elements of website copywriting
Website copywriting is a broad term that encompasses a range of disciplines and content types. All of this needs to be up to scratch, with a standardised style and a tone that’s tailored towards your audience and the image you want to convey.
A fun B2C fashion brand, for instance, should have a very different style of copy than a B2B professional services firm, but whatever impression you’re looking to make on visitors or the type of content you’re creating, the information you provide has to be clear, relevant and consistent across every page of your website.
These are some of the key content types you need to think about for your website copy:
- Blog posts – Fresh, regularly-updated content helps drive traffic and improve your brand image.
- Long-form articles – Go in-depth to demonstrate your expertise and industry thought leadership.
- Subject guides – Place your brand as a leading authority and build trust among readers.
- Product pages and descriptions – Show off your unique selling points in a clear, concise way to create leads or turn browsers into buyers.
- Landing pages – Capture leads by getting visitors to enter contract details for gated content, drive conversions and more.
- ‘About us’ information – Tell your brand’s story and let your personality shine.
While it’s of course important to keep in mind SEO best practices throughout every type of your website copywriting, you should always be ensuring you’re writing first and foremost for a human audience, and asking what information they will be looking for. A good data analytics strategy can be hugely helpful in determining where to focus your efforts.
The importance of quality copy
Aiming for high standards in your web copywriting is crucial for many reasons, not least of which is the fact that the copy you produce is a reflection on your brand and business’ identity as a whole.
If you want the content on your site to be discoverable in search, it needs to be well written, easy to understand and properly optimised, so Google – and other search engines – can find it.
Furthermore, quality copy is an essential element of the experience you deliver to your web visitors. If people find your online content hard to read, difficult to understand or just boring, why would they choose to buy from you?
Your website is one of the most powerful weapons in your digital marketing arsenal, so it’s worth putting in the time and effort required to make it the best it can be.
If this is an area where you’re in need of some expert guidance and support, Axonn specialises in helping our clients improve and optimise their copy to get results.
Whether you’re looking to populate your blog with engaging posts, capture leads with downloadable guides or give your product pages an overhaul, we’ve got the experience and capabilities to help.