Email is viewed as a fairly traditional form of digital communication, but research has repeatedly shown that email newsletters are an effective and reliable way to engage your customers and turn leads into sales.
A well-crafted, informative newsletter can play a crucial role in supporting your business. It can help to inform your audience about new products or services, give updates to your clients and help to position your business as an authority in your sector.
Many businesses have found that this channel yields more visitors than other sources like search engines and social media. That means you’re missing out on a valuable way to reach your audience if you have not yet set up a newsletter.
Why should you send a newsletter?
Here are some of the most significant benefits of newsletters:
- They allow you to make targeted, meaningful connections with customers through segmented contact lists and personalised content.
- They can help you steadily build brand awareness and authority through the delivery of relevant, useful messages to the right recipients.
- It’s relatively easy to measure performance with metrics like open rate, click-through rate and unsubscribe rate.
- They can include social sharing buttons to fuel growth in your social media community, making your posts on these platforms work harder.
Getting the strategy right
As attractive as these advantages are, they’re only achievable if you have the right strategy to gain maximum value from this channel. It’s vital to have high-quality, engaging content to share in your newsletter, for starters, but you also need to consider factors like:
- The right balance between educational and promotional content, maintaining your readers’ interest while keeping your brand front and centre.
- Subject lines that capture people’s attention and see them opening up your newsletter week in week out.
- Test different calls to action to gauge their effectiveness and influence the way you format them in future newsletters.
- Combine copy and design for maximum impact in a way that speaks to your readers and inspires them to engage further with your brand.
- Talk to your audience in a personal manner using pronouns like ‘we’ and ‘you’ to start a conversation.
- Judge the correct length for a newsletter to ensure you don’t overload your audience with too much information in one go.
- Stick to a regular schedule of sending out newsletters so your audience can anticipate their arrival and not feel intimidated by multiple editions arriving in quick succession.
What you need is a structured, strategic approach to help you gain the best results from your newsletters. Just like any area of your marketing strategy, your newsletter formats should be based on the data you’ve acquired on your ideal audience and the buyer persona you’ve developed.
How Axonn can help
If you’re not sure where to start, Axonn can offer support at various stages of the process, beginning with planning and production of content for distribution in your newsletters. We can guide you through all the necessary steps and continue to provide insight into best practice as your newsletter grows and helps to drive your business’ success.